66 Old Church Street, Chelsea, London

Walter Gropius and Max Fry designed this house, built in 1936 for the playwright Benn Levy. It is linked to a house designed by Erich Mendelsohn and Serge Chermayeff for the émigré publisher Denis Cohen, also built in 1936. The two houses form a distinctive elongated modernist façade to the west side of Old Church Street. On 23 March 1970 the house was listed by the Department of the Environment / Department of National Heritage as GRADE TWO. We secured planning and listed building contest, supported by English Heritage, to remove the existing front bay window, put in place of the original garage gate, and replace it with a seamless state of the art glass structure. We also negotiated Cadogan Estates agreement to the works. The proposed alterations maintain the spirit and ambitions of the original design and improve the composition of the west/street façade of the house while offering functional improvements required by the owners. Fully detailed design was developed with Tim Macfarlane but sadly the then owner passed away. A glass house at the south end of the Mendelsohn / Chermayeff house was designed by Norman Foster.

with Tim Macfarlane

« Prev
Next »